The WCA represents industry leaders, committed to building a sustainable future for global coal and playing an active role in achieving our worldwide economic and environmental goals. Our commitment to progress is evident in our work programme, which covers a range of issues encompassing clean coal technologies, environmental protection and sustainable development.
WCA’s work is global in reach and covers the full coal value chain. We are committed to covering issues of importance to mining, including safety, community engagement and mine reclamation. We engage internationally on issues around climate change, local air pollution and clean coal technologies. We support the global movement to reduce emissions, mitigating against the potential impacts of climate change, our commitment to this is evident in our work programme which covers sustainable development, environmental protection and clean coal technologies. We work with our members, governments, and industry bodies to deliver the sustainable future that clean coal can bring, to both economic growth and everyday life.
We represent our industry and members at international panels, roundtables, and events, highlighting the challenges and opportunities for our industry and supporting the role and contribution of coal to the world. We also engage with global media, traditional and digital, to give a voice to the coal industry.
As an organisation, we hold signatory, member, and observer status of many international groups. The WCA has:
- Special Consultative Status with the United Nations Economic and Social Committee (ECOSOC)
- Observer status with the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)
- Observer Status with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
- Membership of the United Nations Climate Technology Centre and Network (UNCTCN)
- Membership of the International Energy Agency (IEA) Coal Industry Advisory Board (CIAB)
- Signatory status to the UN Global Compact (UNGC)
- Association membership of the International Council on Mining and Metals (ICMM)
- Memoranda of Understanding with:
- The United Nations Economic Commission for Europe
- ASEAN Centre for Energy
World Coal Association Climate Change Position
The WCA represents members who are industry leaders and committed to playing an active, constructive role in meeting the global challenge of climate change. We are committed to developing a clean coal value chain and encourage the deployment of clean coal technologies to meet the Paris Agreement and individual countries’ climate goals. The WCA has called on governments to move quickly to support CCUS deployment by promoting policy parity alongside other low emission technologies.
Responsible Coal Principles
The Responsible Coal Principles (RCP) are our statement of intent in
support of the UN Sustainable Development goals.
Every WCA member is a signatory to the Principles and reflect the common goals of our diverse membership.
The RCP underscores the WCA’s commitment to promoting responsible investment in coal and clean coal technologies, in developing, emerging and developed regions.